WHAT IS THE USHADOW PROGRAM?
The University of Miami UShadow program provides University of Miami students the opportunity to 'shadow' a UM alumnus or employer in the community throughout a typical work day. The goal is to help students gain knowledge about a specific career field or work environment and assist them with their career development.
During the experience, students visit and interact with their UShadow host, as well as others at the organization. This interaction can take many forms including:
- Full or half day of shadowing
- Lunch meeting followed by a tour of their office
- Informational interviews
- Discussion with various individuals and departments about their job responsibilities
- And other relevant professional activities!
This experience can be structured in many ways and the goal is to provide an experience that offers a realistic understanding of a career field. All shadowing experiences take place in FEBRUARY OR MARCH.
BENEFITS OF APPLYING FOR USHADOW
UShadow Program participants have the unique opportunity to investigate a potential career field while connecting with knowledgeable alumni or employer hosts. By participating in the program, students will:
- Explore an industry of interest and gain a realistic expectation of specific professions
- Make valuable networking contacts
- Grasp a better understanding of what is involved in a particular career choice or workplace
- Enhance their career development by confirming or exploring their interest in a career option following graduation
The UShadow program is open to all University of Miami students who are in good academic standing with the University and who are under a sophomore status and have completed anywhere from 30-59 credits. Students should also review the timeline of events
to ensure they can attend both the Pre-Departure and Reflection Sessions. Students from all majors are encouraged to participate!
APPLYING FOR USHADOW
To apply for the UShadow program, click here