Internships and Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- CPT is for international students who wish to have an internship on or off campus as part of their academic training prior to graduation
- Work at your job or internship must directly relate to your academic studies
- Time spent at job or internship cannot the follow hours:
- 20 hours in the fall and spring semesters
- 40 hours in the summer
- Obtaining CPT for a job or internship is not the same thing as ‘sponsorship’
- UNPAID internships do not require CPT. PAID internships require CPT. For more information and to begin the process of obtaining CPT, please click here.
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- OPT may be done before you complete your studies, and/or after you complete your studies, but may not exceed a total of 12 months.
- For more information, please click here.
Information on CPT, OPT, and H-1B Visas can also be found on the F-1 Online Employment Session.
If you have any questions regarding information on your work eligibility, please complete the F-1 Employment Session Online or contact International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). Make sure you confirm that you are eligible for work off-campus and obtain employment authorization before you start employment.