Graduate schools often require a personal statement or statement of purpose as part of the application for admission. Some schools request the applicant to address specific information in the personal statement while others leave the personal statement unstructured and the applicant is free to address a chosen topic. The importance of the personal statement varies from school to school and program to program. You would want to demonstrate that you are an applicant that would be a good fit for the program and university.
Some information to include:
Personal Statement Guide
- Demonstrate your eligibility and preparedness for graduate study
- Illustrate your purpose in graduate study
- Communicate your intended future use of your graduate study
- Express your views about your specific research interests
- Highlight previous experience and academic work