The Toppel Career Center has the following options available for career advising:
1. Walk-In Advising (No appointment needed)
Resumes, Cover Letters, Personal Statements, LinkedIn Profile Critiques and other career-related documents
Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
*Summer hours are Monday through Thursday from 2:00 to 4:00 pm
Business Advisors (only for students in the School of Business)
Wednesdays and Thursdays: 2:00 to 4:00 pm - LOCATION: Strauss Conference Room
2. Individual Advising Appointments
Meet one on one with a professional career advisor and develop your own personalized career action plan. A career advisor can help you build the research and job search skills you will need to be successful. Advising appointments are free for current students and alumni within one year of graduation. Evening or phone appointments can be made for students who work full-time or have other time restrictions. Request an appointment by logging into your HireACane account.
Questions? Call 305-284-5451 for help. Students who are studying abroad can request a meeting via Skpye. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an appointment.
Why meet with a career advisor?
3. Career Counseling at the Counseling Center
- Explore skills and interests, using the Self-Directed Search (SDS) or TypeFocus Career Assessments
- Identify values and goals and how they relate to career paths
- Learn what you can do with your major
- Get assistance with the graduate school application process
- Locate resources within your industry or area of interest
- Learn how to network in your field
- Discuss how to search for jobs and internships
The Toppel Career Center and the Counseling Center work closely together to assist you in choosing a major and/or developing a personalized career action plan. Occasionally, students will be referred to services offered by both offices in order to provide the highest quality service.
You might consider visiting the Counseling Center if you are:
- An undeclared major
- Considering a change of major
- Undecided about a career goal
At the Counseling Center:
- Meet with a counselor to discuss your background, current situation, and concerns
- Take interest, ability and personality assessments to learn more about yourself
- Follow-up with your counselor to discuss test results
After completing a counseling session, you may be referred to:
- The Toppel Career Center to help prepare you to obtain a position in your chosen field
- Faculty and academic advisors to discuss major and course requirements