The Toppel Internship Program provides students who have secured an internship the opportunity to earn a 1-credit transcript notation that will be visible on University of Miami transcripts. The University of Miami Internship (UMI) course, offered fall, spring, and summer, will allow students to have work experience related to their major, career path, or possible career path/interest and it will provide recognition of the internship experience on official transcripts. * The University of Miami Internship course (UMI) is offered at no cost to the Toppel Internship Program participants.
Students participate in the Toppel Internship Program for many reasons:
- To receive official University recognition for the internship
- To satisfy employer requirements
- To develop stronger career-related skills and become a more knowledgeable and competitive candidate for future jobs and internships
- To evaluate the internship site for future UM interns
- To communicate to the employer that the internship experience is sponsored by the University
Employers are expected to offer a true experiential learning experience and hold students accountable to agreed upon responsibilities and time commitments.
The Toppel Career Center is responsible for: registering students for the Toppel Internship Program and for the appropriate UMI course as well as supporting students and employers throughout the duration of the internship experience.